The Presidency has denied the allegations made by the former Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen (retd.) against President Muhammadu Buhari.
Gistlover reported earlier that Onnoghen said he was sacked before the 2019 general elections because the President was informed that he met with former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
Speaking in Abuja on Friday, March 19 at a book launch, the former CJN said he was surprised that the Buhari government decided to unlawfully remove him from office despite all the machinery at its disposal to investigate the rumour.
He noted that the situation became messy when all of a sudden, his trial at the Code of Conduct Tribunal was arranged, even when he had not been invited or accused of any wrongdoing.
Reacting to the allegations, a Presidency official who craved anonymity denied the allegations made by the former CJN against the Buhari government.
According to the official, there was no truth in Onnogen’s claim that he was sacked because he met with former vice president Atiku Abubakar in Dubai.
The source said the former CJN’s claim of a rumoured meeting with Atiku in Dubai was not part of the issue before the CCT
The official said Onnoghen was duly charged and convicted after he contested the evidence brought against him at the tribunal.
He wondered if Onnoghen was indicting the same judicial system which he presided over.
He said, “Recall that Onnoghen was charged before the Code of Conduct Tribunal.
“Recall also that evidence was presented. He contested the evidence and he lost, then he was convicted.
“So, what is he saying? Is he faulting the same judicial system which he presided over?
“As far as I know, his claim of a rumoured meeting with Atiku in Dubai was not part of the issue before the CCT. So, why change the narrative at this time?”