Since his sad passing, Nigerians have continued to mourn veteran broadcaster and actor, Sadiq Daba, who died on Wednesday and was buried on Thursday.
Below are things you should know about the veteran:
1. Sadiq Daba was born and raised in Freetown, Sierra Leone.
2. As a child, Daba enjoyed listening to the radio and would often mimic the leading broadcasters of that time day.
3. In 1968, he returned to Nigeria by boat at age 15.
4. He studied at the NTA TV College and Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, where he bagged a degree in Mass Communication.
5. Daba, who had always wanted to be a broadcaster, got his first taste of the job when he auditioned for and got employed at Radio Television, Kaduna.
Over his career, he worked at NTA Sokoto, NTPC Lagos, and NTA Lagos.
6. Daba first gained recognition for his acting in the late 1970s when he starred in ‘Cockcrow at Dawn,’ as Bitrus.
7. His other works include ‘Behind the Clouds,’ ‘A Place Like Home,’ ‘Soweto,’ ‘Moment of Truth,’ and ‘Ripples.’
8. Daba in 2015 won a Africa Movie Academy Award for “Best Actor” for his performance in ‘October 1’.
9. In 2018, the National President of the Actors of Nigeria, Emeka Rollas endowed him with the moniker, ‘Garkuwan Nollywood,’ which translates to “Shield of Nollywood.”
10. His last film appearance was in ‘Citation,’ which was directed by filmmaker, Kunle Afolayan.
Written by The PUNCH